No products in the cart.
As an indie author, it can be tough to figure out what you should be doing and when in relation to your author business.
What tools do you need, what programs will really help you move the dial when it comes to writing and publishing your book and what marketing promotion makes the most sense to you.
In our private Facebook Group, one of the biggest questions asked by authors is how can they best connect with readers. Our answer is always, “build that email list” which can seem arbitrary if you have no idea how to do that.
In this post, not only will we address that question, but we’ll provide you with a ton of different resources that you can access now based on the area of your author business that you need the most help with.
Make sure you bookmark this page as it will be updated regularly.
Self Publishing Resources
Before we get started, we’d like to provide you with a bit disclaimer. Some of the links below are affiliate links. This doesn’t mean much to you, as the price remains the same, all it means is that you’re helping support us in providing you with content that covers author basics 101.
Also, some of the information provided below will be free but some will also require a paid subscription or one-time fee. Do you own diligence and make sure something will work for your author business BEFORE you part with your money.
Everything mentioned below is a resource, product or tool that Steve and I have personally used. We are not in the habit of promoting stuff just for the sake of it, you can count on use for that.
The information below is also split into phases. These represent the different phases of self publishing a book. Scroll to the phase that you need help with the most.
Phase 1: Writing
Below are a list of blog posts, podcasts and tools that will help you in the writing phase of your book. These are both applicable to fiction and non fiction authors.
- [Book] It all starts with outlining your book the right way!
- [Book] How to write your book faster using proper story structure
- [Blog post] How to use Scrivener to outline your book
- [Blog post] How to use mindmapping to outline your book
- [Blog post] Speaking your book into existence
- [Blog post] Jeff Goins on how to write a book
- [Book] You are a Writer by Jeff Goins
- [Podcast] Trusting the process to get through tough writing snags
- [Blog post] How to become a good writer
Phase 2: Editing
Struggling with the editing phase of your book? Check out these resources:
- [Blog Post] Book Cover Design Mastery
- [Book] How to self-edit and write faster
- [Blog post] 9 ways to tell your book is not easy to read
- [Blog post] 10 truths about hiring a professional editor
- [Podcast] Authority Self Publishing Episode #34: Expert Editing Advice
- [Blog post] Editing and writing craft – tips from and editor
- [Podcast] Authority Self Publishing Episode #30: 2nd & 3rd Draft Hacks
- [Blog post] Self editing basics
Phase 3: Author Platform Building
- [Blog post] Getting traffic to your author website
- [Blog post] How to run a giveaway
- [Blog post] How to keep your raving fans, raving mad… for your books!
- [Book] Reader Magnets by Nick Stephenson
- [Blog post] Build your author platform: 7 manageable steps
- [Blog post] Author platform: what are you waiting for?
- [Blog post] How to build your author platform in 10 hours per week
- [Blog post] 101 actions to take to build your author platform
Phase 4: Publishing
- [Book] Publishing on Kindle and Createspace
- [Book] How to Publish a Book by Guy Kawasaki
- [Blog post] How to self publish your book
- [Blog post] How much does it cost to publish your book
- [Blog post] How to use Ingram Spark and CreateSpace
- [Blog post] Publishing on Kindle
- [Blog post] Kindle publishing guide
- [Blog post] Crafting an awesome Author Central profile
- [Blog post] How using KDSpy gives you an unfair advantage
- [Resource] Amazon Book Description Generator by Kindlepreneur
Phase 5: Marketing
- [Resource] Free and bargain book submission sites
- [Resource] 15-Day Book Launch Blueprint
- [Blog post] How to use Quroa to increase book sales
- [Blog post] How to choose the right Kindle keywords
- [Book] Your First 10,000 Copies by Tim Grahl
- [Book] Successful Self Publishing by Joanna Penn
- [Podcast] ASP #15: How to revive book sales on a ‘dead’ book
- [Podcast] ASP #13: Paid ads for books and how to test them
- [Resource] Your First 10k Readers by Nick Stephenson
As we said, this resource is going to be updated regularly, so make sure you bookmark it. If you have a resource, blog post, book or other link you think should be added, drop us an email: email@example.com should do the trick!